Welcome to the Pi In The Sky Project
Pi In the Sky is a simple and reliable GPS radio tracker board for the Pi.
This board is a GPS receiver and radio transmitter designed for tracking high altitude balloon flights. It uses a UHF radio transmitter which is license-free in Europe (for other areas check your local regulations). To track the location of flight you also need a radio receiver, aerial and PC on the ground. Suitable radios include TV dongles - see http://ukhas.org.uk/guides:sdr_tracker for examples of suitable models and full instructions.
For Pre-order information scroll down.
Together with the supplied, open-source software it embodies the experience of about 40 successful flights, nearly half of which have used the Raspberry Pi.
- Efficient built-in power regulator providing run time of over 20 hours from 4 AA cells
- Highly sensitive UBlox GPS receiver approved for altitudes up to 50km
- Temperature compensated, frequency agile, Radiometrix 434MHz radio transmitter
- Temperature sensor
- Battery voltage monitoring
- Sockets for external i2c devices, analog input, external temperature sensor
- Allows use of Raspbery Pi camera
- Mounting holes and spacers for a solid connection to the Pi
The open-source software provides these features:
- Radio telemetry with GPS and sensor data using UKHAS standard
- Radio image download using SSDV standard
- Multi-threaded to maximize use of the radio bandwidth
- Variable image size according to altitude
- Stores full-definition images as well as smaller transmitted images
- Automatically chooses better images for download
- Configurable via text file in the Windows-visible partition of the SD card
- Supplied as github repository with instructions, or SD card image
We are now offering a limited number of boards for PRE-ORDER. The first run of boards are currently with the PCB Manufacturer being assembled and we are hoping to ship the last week in July.
Pre orders are now closed. The board will go on sale via HAB Supplies shortly.