Welcome to the Pi In The Sky Project
Pi In the Sky is a simple and reliable GPS radio tracker board for the Pi.
This board is a GPS receiver and radio transmitter designed for tracking high altitude balloon flights. It uses a UHF radio transmitter which is license-free in Europe (for other areas check your local regulations). To track the location of flight you also need a radio receiver, aerial and PC on the ground. Suitable radios include TV dongles - see http://ukhas.org.uk/guides:sdr_tracker for examples of suitable models and full instructions.
PITS+ Board for model A+, B+, V2 B
Together with the supplied, open-source software it embodies the experience of over 50 successful flights, about half of which have used the Raspberry Pi.
- Efficient built-in power regulator providing run time of over 20 hours from 4 AA cells
- Highly sensitive UBlox GPS receiver approved for altitudes up to 50km
- Temperature compensated, frequency agile, Radiometrix 434MHz radio transmitter
- Temperature sensor
- Battery voltage monitoring
- Sockets for external i2c devices, analog input, external temperature sensor
- Allows use of Raspbery Pi camera
- Mounting holes and spacers for a solid connection to the Pi
The open-source software provides these features:
- Radio telemetry with GPS and sensor data using UKHAS standard
- Radio image download using SSDV standard
- Multi-threaded to maximize use of the radio bandwidth
- Variable image size according to altitude
- Stores full-definition images as well as smaller transmitted images
- Automatically chooses better images for download
- Configurable via text file in the Windows-visible partition of the SD card
- Supplied as github repository with instructions, or SD card image
You can purchase the boards here.